MUST-HAVE BABY-LED WEANING ACCESSORIES:
We part from the idea that BLW is about encouraging your baby to self-feed solid finger foods instead of receiving purées via spoon. How to get started and what do you need for your BLW journey? Advice on baby-led weaning accessories and equipment that will make your and your baby's lives easier and better.
1. Non-Toxic Silicone Placemat
The ideal placemat for a successful BLW experience will be:
- Non-toxic: need we say more?
- Be a placemat... not have a plate integrated. Your baby doesn't have the motor skills to put things on a plate yet. This will defeat the purpose of trying to give them the freedom to eat in their terms and time. You want to provide them with the full experience to explore and choose by themselves... and not creating habits that can later lead them to become picky eaters. They should be able to grab and leave the foods anywhere in front of them. Having a clear and simple placemat will help you achieve that.
- Portable: It's great to be at home and have our own high chairs, that we know what they've been cleaned up with... a whole other story is a high chair from a restaurant, probably cleaned with a wet cloth that has who-knows how many germs and bacteria. When we eat somewhere that doesn’t have a high chair with a tray, or if you don't trust in the cleanliness of it, your mat will come in very handy! It should ideally roll and fit into your diaper bag (or purse) and be 100% flexible and foldable so it adapts to whatever else you have inside. Just wipe with your germ-killing, baby-safe wipes and that's it.
2. Prep work: Germ-killing, and easing the clean-up for BLW
These are it. No need to overthink this - you need an honest non toxic cleaner and these are convenient, well priced and fit for purpose. Also you should get a splat mat, if you don't have to spend hours sweeping and mopping afterwards.
3. Suit Up! Best Bibs for Weaning
Granted, BLW will be a mess. A good bib and floor mats will save your sanity, we promise!
4. Sit Up: Best Easy-Clean & Portable High Chairs for Baby-Led Weaning
Sometimes we are on the go, and the BLW training shouldn't stop. While baby is perfectly fine to sit on your lap, using a portable chair like a booster can help you go hands-free so you can both enjoy your meals and even some face time! These portable high chairs will be great for when you are traveling!
5. Sit Up at Home: Best Easy-Clean High Chairs for Baby Led Weaning
Liked this article? let us know what you think on the comment section below, and better yet, share it with someone who is looking for honest advice about baby-led weaning accessories and supplies.
Note: This is not a scholar or medical advice article about the BLW method. If you have never heard of the Baby-Lead Weaning (BLW) we recommend you start your research with this great article.